Rex - not Mattel - Lovely Horse that belongs to Gloria doll

Another non-Mattel colt that caught my eye and joined the herd. It's not a Mattel horse, so it wasn't owned by Barbie. It belongs to Gloria doll - a Barbie clone doll.

Gloria doll horse
Rex - Gloria doll horse with Mattel accessories


Gloria is also known as Betty Teen (Tong). This horse came in three colors - white, brown and gray. It looks like they are no longer available in stores at the moment. I also do not know what period of time they come from, although since I managed to find their photos, they must have been on sale a few years ago.

I found the following photos on the web, they look like promotional photos.



As you can see on the boxes below it is called - Lovely Horse.



The horses in the photos from the box have markings on their legs and heads, while those in boxes and photos with a white background seems to have no markings.

It has no signatures on the body. Sometimes this mold also appears in sets with different carriages - most often the horse is then white with hair of different colors - most often white, blue and pink. And that's basically all what I found about it. 

The horse charmed me with its body features, it looks more like a draft carriage horse than a typical Barbie palfrey.

He came to me at the end of September 2022. He didn't come with a wide set of accessories, as you can see in the pictures above, he had only - a bridle with reins and a saddle. He came to me only with this last one.

Below you can see how he looked when he arrived:

Gloria doll horse as it came to me

Gloria doll horse as it came to me

Gloria doll horse as it came to me

Gloria doll horse as it came to me

Gloria doll horse as it came to me

Gloria doll horse as it came to me

Gloria doll horse as it came to me

Gloria's horse - dimples in the legs
Gloria's horse - dimples in the legs

As you can see in the pictures, the legs in the upper inner part have dimples - I don't know for what purpose, it doesn't look good. But although the thought of patching them up with something passed through my head more than once, I finally decided to leave it in the original.

Gloria's horse - strange eyes
Gloria's horse - strange eyes

Gloria's horse - strange eyes
Gloria's horse - strange eyes

Another thing that I do not understand is eye painting - half of it looks like an entry ban, or a red horse's eye with a white oblong pupil, the other half is a blue eye with a white blob. Plus this white line at the bottom.
All the time I wonder if I shouldn't repaint it to make any sense.

I really like its markings - both on the legs and on the head. Overall, the head is what attracts me the most to it.

The signs of being a toy
The signs of being a toy

Of course, this horse was a toy, and apart from a lost bridle, small scraps of paint, dirty and tangled hair, it also has traces of contact with something hot.

Without the saddle:

Gloria's doll horse

Gloria's doll horse

Gloria's doll horse

As you can see above - it does not have the body narrowing typical of Barbie horses - making it easier for a doll to mount a horse. As I wrote before - it is a typical draft horse.

Lovely Horse - Gloria's doll horse

He is really a lovely horse - just look at him in the photo above - this sight! 

The name that stuck to him is - Rex - which in Latin means king. Somehow it came on my mind in relation to a few things -  he came to me in the month that the late Queen Elizabeth II had passed, I was drawn into the Star Wars universe - there is a hero with that name, and the last premise is that although he is not a Barbie horse, I will give him the equipment of one of  Mattel's horses with a crown motif.

Eventually my colt ended up in the bath. After washing his hair, I treated it with a lot of fabric conditioner and combing it out was not a big nightmare. And that's all because the hair are quite thick and stiff - that's why I treated it with a hair conditioner before drying, to make it softer and shiny. And here is Rex before drying.

Lovely Horse - Gloria's doll horse

Lovely Horse - Gloria's doll horse


I think his mane and tail survived to their original length, but needed some realignment.

Lovely Horse - Gloria's doll horse

Lovely Horse - Gloria's doll horse


Lovely Horse - Gloria's doll horse

His hooves are really big, but he - himself is quite light in weight, what made him lose to stronger gusts of wind during the session in the orchard. At this he reminded me of unstable Champion.

The countryside is the perfect setting for a session for a horse like Rex.

Lovely Horse - Gloria's doll horse

Lovely Horse - Gloria's doll horse
Against the wind

Lovely Horse - Gloria's doll horse

Lovely Horse - Gloria's doll horse

Lovely Horse - Gloria's doll horse

Lovely Horse - Gloria's doll horse

Lovely Horse - Gloria's doll horse

Lovely Horse - Gloria's doll horse

Lovely Horse - Gloria's doll horse

Lovely Horse - Gloria's doll horse

Time to see how Rex looks among the Mattel horses. With Color Fancy (Farben) and Suncharm Rose of Texas (The first Sun Runner).

Gloria's doll horse with Barbie horses

Gloria's doll horse with Barbie horses

Gloria's doll horse with Barbie horses

Gloria's doll horse with Barbie horses

Gloria's doll horse with Barbie horses

As you can see, it is theoretically the same size as the Prancer mold, with a small detail - the Barbie Arabians are on the run, if they stood on straight legs, they would be slightly taller than Rex. They also have longer and slender heads.

Hooves and legs comparision

Gloria's doll horse with Barbie horse

A view from above - you can clearly see the narrowing of the Barbie horse. Draft horses are often shorter than warmbloods, so Rex's height does not appear to be wrong.

I still think that he would look better when harnessed to a carriage, but so far with the saddle and Mattel's accessories: the bridle and reins are from Farben, with this saddle he came to me, a saddle pad, ornaments and leg protectors from a Barbie horse with interchangeable heads and tail .

Rex - Lovely Horse by Gloria - with Mattel accessories

Rex - Lovely Horse by Gloria - with Mattel accessories

Rex - Lovely Horse by Gloria - with Mattel accessories

Rex - Lovely Horse by Gloria - with Mattel accessories

Rex - Lovely Horse by Gloria - with Mattel accessories

YouTube video



Comments