Barbie's most glamorous dog - Lord (1984)

 When I was a child, poodles were associated with old ladies. A friend of my grandmother and one of my aunts had such dogs, so I had contact with them as such. They were quite popular in those days. Their fine hair was very soft. And although they look like plush toys, they are very intelligent dogs. Poodles come in four sizes - large, medium, miniature and toy. Barbie has the biggest of them.

Barbie vintage poodle dog

After getting Turquoise, I had a delicate dilemma which dog should be next and although I am not a poodle lover, this one charmed me and won the plebiscite for the third dog in the herd. Recently I revived my oldest Barbie doll (Fashion Play) and maybe she tuned me so much that it fell on a poodle - more or less the same times, amount of pink, chic.

So let's start by presenting this model. This is the dog with perhaps the greatest number of names - Lord, Mylord, Prince, Principe, Pepe - that's what I found. To confirm - the photos of the boxes found on the internet (the originals, this is not a photoshop):

Barbie Lord box

Barbie Mylord box

Barbie Prince dog box

Barbie Principe dog box

Barbie Pepe poodle box

Most often you can find him under the name of Prince and Lord, I took him into the family as Lord - short and fitting. The name Prince appears among horses, so I don't want to duplicate it.

It entered the market in 1984 as a charming Barbie poodle. Accompanies Barbie Day to Night.

Barbie 1984 catalog with Prince and Day to Night Barbie
Barbie catalog probably from 1984 (photo found on the web)

He also appeared in the catalogs of the following years:

Lord in 1987 Barbie catalog
Year 1987 (hoto found on the web)

Barbie poodle in 1988 Barbie catalog
Year 1988 (photo found on the web)


Barbie Lord poodle in 1989 catalog
Year 1989 (photo found on the web)

He is described as Barbie's best friend with whom she loves to play with and go for walks as the dog wears his elegant beret and bow tie collar. The poodle has soft white fur and can take a variety of poses.

Back of the Prince box
Back of the box (photo from the web)

The Lord's original equipment included:
  • shiny dark pink leash
  • Double-sided collar in the type of a collar for a greyhound - metallic pink on one side, silver on the other, fastened with a gray plastic buckle
  • bow-tie collar - fastened with a button
  • pink ribbon to tie a bow
  • two plastic pink bowls with a crown pattern
  • two-sided - brush-comb
  • shimmering dark pink beret
This is not the largest number of accessories for a Barbie dog, but there are quite a few.

The Poodle has also appeared on Barbie collectible cards, here are some examples found online:

1985 Barbie trading card with Lord the poodle

1985 Barbie trading card with Lord the poodle

1985 Barbie trading card with Lord the poodle

I really like the last photo.

Barbie vintage poodle dog - Lord
My Lord out of the box as he arrived to me

That's all for the introduction - it's time to meet my Lord. He came to me on April 13, 2022 from Haimhausen near Munich, Germany. I love Bavaria so I am proud of his origins. He also belonged to a collector, so his condition is perfect. It was also very important to me that he would not have any solar burns, his fur would not be damaged and that he would have as many accessories as possible. I don't have boxes, I don't really care about them, the most important thing is to have a beautiful specimen in the collection, not a piece of cardboard. The only thing missing from the original equipment is a ribbon. By the way - I don't understand why the dog needs a bow on the tail, in the case of a horse it is more understandable, but a dog?

Barbie Lord's accesories
part of equipment

Barbie Lord's accesories
a set of accessories - without the missing ribbon

The collar on the other side looks like this bow tie collar. I had to press it with a metal comb because it curls up.

Barbie poodle dog - Lord - head signature

Lord's head is signed with the word TAIWAN - on the bottom, on the back there is an inscription - (c) 1984 Mattel Inc.

Barbie poodle dog - Lord - head signature

The front legs are marked with the inscription (c) Mattel Inc. 1979, and the rear with the TAIWAN inscription - why does 1979 appear on the legs? Because this year there was also a dog of this type and most likely the poodle took its paws or the entire skeleton - I will be able to confirm this when this dog will be in my possession, because of course I have such a plan to get it.

Barbie dog - Lord

Lordie out of the box looked good, but on the tip of his head there was a fairly visible gray dust spot. The tail was tilted to the side. So I decided to give him a bath anyway.

Barbie poodle dog - Lord in bath

Barbie poodle dog - Lord


After the bath, there was a moment of relaxation in a fragrant conditioner, then wiping with a towel and brushing. For the sake of safety, however, I used a proven Ika's (my real dog) metal brush  - ha, finally I was combing the poodle with the poodle brush! I treat the original brush-comb as a collectible toy accessory, not a detangling tool. After this operation some hair fell off, but you always have to take this into account, so you should brush your collectibles as little as possible.

Barbie dog - Lord
a happy, combed, fragrant dog with a ball of combed hair

And the dog is ready for sessions! Due to the fact that on that day the weather was capricious, I had to limit myself to my amateur bathroom studio, which is not good for a poodle because he blends in with the background.

Barbie french poodle dog - Lord

Barbie poodle dog - Lord

I think the dog looks much better after brushing it out. Lord is a really cute pooch, and there is no empty marketing in it, this face speaks for itself:

Barbie poodle dog - Lord

Barbie poodle dog - Lord

Ravishing! But at the same time, you can also see the intelligence - this is a really very elegant dog!

He is a dog with the greatest number of reproduced details, he most resembles a live dog - I am speaking here compared to my previous dogs - Turquoise and Pinkie. Unfortunately, the dogs are in the countryside, so I can't introduce them to their new friend. I can't wait to see them together on the green grass!

Enough of these stories - time for photos!

Barbie poodle dog - Lord

Barbie Lord

Barbie dog

He's a handsome dog. Now it's time for pics with the lady:

Barbie Fashion Play doll and Lord the dog

Barbie Fashion Play doll and Lord the dog

Barbie Fashion Play doll and Lord the dog

Barbie Fashion Play doll and Lord the dog

Barbie Fashion Play doll and Lord the dog

And finally in the garden! Although it was not a warm day and after this session I fell ill with a three-day painful stiffening of the neck. But here are the photos with
Blinky
.

Barbie Fashion Play doll , Barbie Horse Blinking Beauty and Lord the dog

Barbie Fashion Play doll , Barbie Horse Blinking Beauty and Lord

Barbie Fashion Play doll , Barbie Horse Blinking Beauty and Lord

And with Baja and Jaqueline, who joined this ride.

Barbie Fashion Play and Cali Girl Summer dolls , Barbie Horses Blinking Beauty and Baja with Lord

Barbie Fashion Play and Cali Girl Summer dolls , Barbie Horses Blinking Beauty and Baja with Lord

Barbie Fashion Play and Cali Girl Summer dolls , Barbie Horses Blinking Beauty and Baja with Lord

Barbie Fashion Play and Cali Girl Summer dolls , Barbie Horses Blinking Beauty and Baja with Lord

Barbie Fashion Play and Cali Girl Summer dolls , Barbie Horses Star Stepper, Blinking Beauty, Baja with Lord

Summer was speachless as she saw Lord for the first time and immediately fell in love with him.

Barbie Cali Girl Summer doll , Barbie Horses Star Stepper, Blinking Beauty and Lord

Barbie Cali Girl Summer doll , Barbie Horses Star Stepper, Blinking Beauty and Lord
Who is the cutest, sweetest puppy?



Comments